Shining Dodecahedron

One geek's views on role-playing and games in general.

This place is all about discussing paper-and-pencil roleplaying games. I'm Jay, and I run this joint, but that doesn't make me smarter than you. This will all work best if I say things, and you say what you think about them, lather, rinse, repeat. With luck we can all understand the hobby a little better. If you have a topic that you would like me to start a thread about, post a comment here. If you've got something to say about characters (my ongoing topic du jour), post a comment here.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Ten Years of Terror

This is off-topic, but today is the 10th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. I bring it up because I was in OCK that day, going about my business as usual. I was in the Air Force at the time, and I remember that, at first, we heard that there had been an explosion of unknown origin downtown. They thought it was a gas leak or something. But really, who would imagine that someone would do something like that?

Shock is an amazing thing. In the days that followed, I didn't react in a strong way. I didn't really absorb the situation until quite a while later. A friend of mine went down to the blast site the first day to help out, even after having been told not to. He showed up in his BDUs as if he were a military person who was suppsed to be there and they put him to work. He went into the fragile shell of the federal building and helped the firemen and other emergency crews fish bodies from the wreckage. That was how he dealt with it: he faced it head-on. People like me never really dealt with it at all. I still can't conceive of someone planning and executing that kind of attack. Lashing out at the government by killing innocent people. I don't get it.

I won't be so naive as to say that that day changed to world or anything, but it serves as a symptom of our problems in my opinion. Where does all the hatred come from? How do we stop it? I have no idea myself, but I don't think that it's a coincidence that this country at this time is producing so much hate. I wish more people would think about what they are doing and how it affects others. I wish that people would look at the OKC bombing as an invitation to change for the better. But then, I wish a lot of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home